For most styles of popular music, the live Performance Front is the foundation for developing a fan base and it's an important part of marketing and selling recorded music. The key areas of the Performance Front are:
- Live show venues: clubs, halls, fairs, festivals, etc.
- Venue research: creating venue contact lists
- Booking agents and concert promoters: roles and relationships
- Live performance and live concert contracts
- Internet: plans for streaming concerts, downloading concerts, misc. web live music ops.
- Lighting, sound, and equipment needs
- Tours: planning, tour coordination, concert promotions
- Road managers, roadies, and life on the road
- Touring as marketing: radio, press, and retail opportunities